Thursday, March 17, 2005

Trivia - Thursday, March 17th

How many children does President Jed Bartlet have on The West Wing?

Aside: There are only 3 American TV shows that are shown regularly on normal, non-cable Japanese TV. They are: ER, Alias, and The West Wing. All are shows I enjoy, so that's cool, but The West Wing is just so good, I don't even care that they're repeats that I've seen before. Monday, Tuesday, and Wednesday nights from 10pm til about 10:45, since they're shown without commercials. A little oasis of English among the desert of Nihon-go programming. Japanese TV is strange, bizarre, and by-and-large pretty damn awful, but I still find my self watching it even though I don't understand 90% of what's being said. Just last night I watched a documentary program for at least an hour, all in Japanese, about this young woman who gets pregnant at age 16. She's the oldest child in her family and she has SIX younger brothers and sisters down to the youngest who was 5. So that's 7 kids from 5 to 16, and their Dad (no Mom, so I assume she had died) all living in an apartment that looked to be about the same size as the one I currently live in. She decided to keep the baby and after she had it she brought it home to the same tiny apartment. Utterly compelling stuff despite the language barrier.

Yesterday's Answer (highlight line below):
Bananarama, from the show The Banana Splits and the song "Pyjamarama."

No comments: