Thursday, April 21, 2005

Me with my shinai and full kendo armor


Me with my shinai and full kendo armor
Originally uploaded by Jason In Japan.

Yes, that's me under the helmet. Doing my best Obi-Wan Kenobi impression at night time kendo practice last Thursday night.

My debut in the full attire. I mostly sparred against Hitoshi, cuz he speaks English well enough to tell me what to do, but I worked out with the team as well. I was EXHAUSTED when I got home - all that stuff is heavy!

A "shinai" is the sword; the stomach protector is called a "do" (pronounced dough); the pants are called hakame; the special shirt is called a doge; the helmet/face protector is called "man"; and the gloves are called "kotei."

This week i got all the different procedures down, so now i can dress and undress myself - lots of knots and even an order that everything goes on and comes off.

No comments: